Thursday, February 25, 2010

Pond Skimming

So this weekend Matt and I decided to go watch a fun BYU-Idaho tradition... Pond Skimming. For any of you who do not know what this is let me explain.

Pond Skimmers start at the top of a slope and donning skis, snowboard, or really anything that will take them down the hill (recliners, sleds etc.), they attempt to make it down a hill and skim across a pond at the bottom. In our case, at BYU-I, the pond is more of a man-made pool, about 3 feet deep and about 30 feet long. In most cases (at least at BYU-I) they do not make it all the way across the pool, resulting in a comical crash and splash into the pool. Now keep in mind this is all done in the middle of winter so what provokes them to try this is beyond me. Many of the skimmers also wear some sort of crazy costume. Then at the end there is an award ceremony.

So Matt and I decided to go watch this crazy event on Friday of last week, unfortunately they ended an hour and a half before they said they were going to so Matt and I only got to see a couple of the people attempt it. It was still a lot of fun though!


This is the hill and the "pond" that the event takes place on


Matt and I after everyone had cleared out




Here is a video of the Highlights from 2009s Pond Skimming at BYU-I.




3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I'm not sure you would see me going down something like that, but I think I would enjoy sitting there watching others do it. This is definitely something new since I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! this is Cindy, Matt's cousin and I just found your blog via facebook! I hope you don't mind me popping in :) I love when the cousins have blogs, that way we can keep up with everyone. Feel free to check ours out, too!

    maudsleyfamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete